Pages

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Pottington Quay - a little more progress


View from one end of the layout to the other

A good weekend of modelling transpired. Great to have sometime at home and be able to just chill out and enjoy doing some modelling. The two projects that received the attention this weekend were Pottington Quay and the finishing/weathering of my PMV and CCT in engineering olive. The second of these I will post later in the week. Needless to say some progress was made on Pottington Quay.

As always my expectations of what I might achieve were completely over the top. The first task was picking up the Bachman Scenecraft Service Shed. This is an excellent model and after it was duly place on the shunting micro I realised that one of the sidings had to go. So another track plan was required.


A further rejigging of the track plan - this is the final version

The revised plan now has one siding, one line in and one line out. This effectively lost a set of points, reducing the overall number to 3. Whilst collecting the servicing shed I decided to buy a point motor. My original plan was not to bother installing point motors to save money. However, some automatic points seemed appealing, with a more automated layout in general. The gaugemaster point motor looks easy enough to install. But I do not understand if I require a capacitor discharge unit for every point, or can I wire all 3 points to the same unit?? If anyone knows the answer some advice would be appreciated, so please comment!!


My first attempt at scratch building - a warehouse to sit on the quay front

Anyway, in between jiggling track plans and contemplating track wiring, I was busy with the air brush weathering the PMV and CCT. And whilst each coat of paint dried on these wagons I was attempting to scratchbuild a passable representation of the Rolle Quay warehouse. I managed to finish this on the Sunday and tonight it might well get a good wash and does of primer. Has it been successful? The answer to this is I am currently unsure. I think it probably looks ok at the moment, but with some paint added it will show up all the minor blemishes.... we shall wait to see.


The entrance for the second track will be disguised by a signal box - yet to be constructed

Anyway, it is a first attempt, another step into a bigger world of modelling. It also fulfils its function of disguising the entry/exit points for the tracks into the micro. I now am about to start building a signal box and platform to stand behind the warehouse, another task for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment