Pages

Friday 21 October 2011

Pottington Quay, further progress


The finished Ambeleigh test track, all it needs now is a name board, another task for the weekend

Being home all week has meant that I have made further progress on Pottington Quay. I took the step of finally taking down Amberleigh, my test track layout, which has been running in the spare room for probably around 8 months now, as I needed to borrow one of the trestles for Pottington Quay. Amberleigh is now finished, with the exception of the addition of a name board for the Halt. It has been a great little project, but has now reached the end of its developmental interest for me. Hopefully, one thing left to accomplish with the layout is taking it to an exhibition, but for that I will have to wait for an offer......


Plan view, excuse the feet!

With regards to Pottington Quay, I started to build two structures this week. The first was a scalescenes card kit. These kits are excellent, but my ability to build them is not!!! It ended up in the recycling bin after one night I am afraid!! However, I did go out and take some photos of the warehouse at Rolle Quay and have started scratch building this structure. The dimensions are guestimates, based on the photographs, with the aim of producing a representation of the building. Whether it will look to scale once finished I am unsure!


Rolle Quay from the road side

I have used a plasticard base with stone cladding. This is my first attempt at scratch building, and I am learning all the way. It is starting to shape up, but I do not want to tempt fate yet, there is a long way to go. Regardless of this, I am really enjoying constructing something unique. I am definitely getting bitten by the building bug and now intend to scratch build a larger warehouse for the rear of the layout, possibly using modelling clay.


and my first attempt at a representation of the building

I have managed to gather the materials together for most of the rest of the buildings for the layout. I have the stuff to construct the quay side, the track plan needs gluing down and the powerbus needs installing and then the whole thing needs wiring up. Add to this a small signal box to build, combined with spraying the backscene, and the weekend looks a busy one in modelling terms. I am also hoping to finish of my engineers olive green CCT and PMV and build that warehouse. We shall see how far I get, but I will update to show all (any!)progress.


The warehouse from the river view

2 comments:

  1. Didnt this belong to the L&B Rlwy? I know the building because its right next to the coach drop off point in Barnstaple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, yes this one is in Barnstaple. To be honest I have no idea whether it is L&B or Southern. If you know the history of the bulding I would love to hear....
    best
    Choppers

    ReplyDelete