Time for modelling has remained at a premium for me for the last few weeks, with too much work on, some redecorating, summer holidays, visitors, beach days, etc. It has all been very busy. with only the odd hour here and there available for modelling. As a consequence, modelling progress has remained slow. In terms of the layout, there are two big things I have been mulling over. The first is sorting out the curved track on the curved board, which is far too tight. I have spent much time during my morning dog walk thinking about the best solution for this. I have considered replacing the curved board with a straight board, adding in a new 1ft track section and just relaying the track on the curved board. All of the options are sub-optimal and will require adjusting the quay front to make things run smoothly. However, the layout has to fulfil the purpose it was built for, over being fun and reliable to operate, so something needs to be done - the problem is I still have not decided what the solution is yet.
The second big task for the layout is the construction of a series of low relief buildings to run along the back of the layout behind the station and next to the diary. I think I will need to model something like 10 buildings and I am pleased to say the first one is finished. This is the Fair Price Models low relief warehouse, which was still too deep for the space available on the layout. I subsequently cut it into two halves, allowing me to get a second low relief warehouse from the same kit. Anyhow, shell was built, painted with PVA glue, then covered in polyfilla and sanded down. After a base coat of grey, the stone work was hand scribed, before dry brushing and some weathering washes over the top. The roof tiles are cut up plasticky fliers that come through the letter box. When viewed from ground level, it is quite an imposing old structure, just right for an old quayside. I am very happy with how this one turned out and I am looking forward to adding it too the layout. At least one down, but plenty more low relief buildings to go.
In other modelling projects, I have finished the painting of the class 42 warship, so it is now a question of just installing the DCC sound chip and speaker and putting the locomotive back together. The class 122 is finished, except for the internal lighting issue (Dapol production fault). I am yet to find out how to resolve the internal lighting issues, I think time to play with some CVs and see if I can get something to work.....I also need to phone Howes to see if they know of a solution. Otherwise, I have lots of projects requiring some time, of which there is very little until October....in the meantime I will just try to do little bits of modelling here and there to keep me sane.


.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment