Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Pottington Quay - it's all in name


Pottington Quay, with the backscene now in place

At last a name has been decided upon for the shunting micro. Introducing Pottington Quay, based loosely on the quay front wall at Barnstaple. As the photos hopefully show I have made a little more progress, with the backscene now in place. The backscene is glued fibre board on a curve made from two sections of wood, meeting in the middle. The back scene is also relatively high, something I hope will give the layout some atmosphere. This is going to be sprayed white to grey, making it a very bland back drop.


View looking into the layout

The back drop is going to be bland because I intend to cover the back of the layout with some tall buildings and some trees. The centre piece of the layout will be a wagon repair works - using the Bachmann scenecraft single road locomotive repair shed. A trip down to the excellent model railway shop in Exeter promptly had this ordered, so am waiting on this to fix in place.

I also am going to (attempt) to scratch build my first building, being a warehouse to plonk right at the front of the layout, to disguise the entry/exit of trains. There is a lovely old warehouse in Barnstaple on the rolle quay, just a few mins walk from my office, which I am going to photograph today ready to attempt to scratch build. I picked up some sheets of plasticard and the like at the weekend and am ready to start....fingers crossed it won't be a complete disaster.


Slightly higher view showing the track layout

However, I am also going to purchase a few more warehouse type structures from the Scenecraft/Skaledale ranges to fix to the back of the layout. These are going to be placed on a slightly raised section, providing a nice back drop to the sidings, along with some decent foliage. I also need a signal box to place behind the warehouse on the quay, to act as a scenic break for the second track entry onto the layout. Tonight I am hoping to get the powerbus in place and start gluing down the track, hopefully some more progress updates to follow later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment