Pages

Sunday 27 December 2020

Dapol class 122 woes and an xmas running session

I hope everyone had a fantastic xmas and is continuing to enjoy some festive cheer.  The new raft of covid measures meant our xmas was even less social than we planned it to be.  Luckily, I have a fantastic partner, so we still had an amazing time.  On the regulatory 3 hrs on xmas day, my parents popped over for lunch.  My dad has started to build an 0 gauge layout and wanted to have a go with a DCC controller, so I set up Charlton ready to have a beer and run some trains.  I got some trains ready to go and put my Dapol class 122 on the track, turned on the sound chip and pressed the throttle.  The motor turned away but the unit would only crawl.  This was very strange, as I have only run the class 122 at a few exhibitions, so I was surprised it had given up the ghost.  Some googling found out that the Dapol class 121/122 have a raft of well known motor problems.  I managed to take the unit apart, damaged a few detailing pieces and eventually I sorted out the issues.

The Dapol class 122 chassis with one drive shaft removed (left).

The small drive head (top - black), had come loose from the drive shaft.  I super glued the head to both ends of the drive shaft before reassembly.

Both of the motor drive shafts have a head that had come loose, meaning the drive shaft turned but it would not turn the gears.  A lot of people on RMweb removed one of the drive shafts, so the motor only drives one set of wheels.  I followed this fix, removing one drive shaft completely, whilst super gluing the drive head onto both ends of the other drive shaft, before refitting it.  It is a very fiddly job to do, as the drive shafts are beneath the PCB board.  After this experience and seeing that many other modellers have suffered the same issue, I am not buying a Dapol locomotive again.  This is a personal blog and it is only my opinion, but I am really furious that a train that has seen very little running suddenly gives up, due to poor production quality.  The (upcoming) story of the Hornby class 50 is a similar tale.  These trains are not cheap, especially when sound fitting the locomotives and it is infuriating after all that detailing, for the train to be not able to run due to design faults.

Class 37 c. 1975 on an evening passenger service.

Anyhow, having sorted out the problems on the class 122 (it was spread over 2 days, which included a lot of blaspheming!) I spent some time running some trains this evening.  It was great fun and I caught some evening videos of trains running with the lights on.  Other project continue to make good progress, with the class 45 just needing putting back together (a job for tomorrow) with the sound chip added and the python wagon only needs one more coat of varnish.  All in all plenty of progress and all of the new baseboards for a roundy roundy layout are ordered!  Bring on the spring!!

Class 122 on an evening passenger turn.

A class 37 bringing in the last train of the day....

.....before setting back off to Barnstaple junction.

5 comments:

  1. Just given one of my Dapol 121's a short run to check the decoder and had exactly the same problem. Drive shaft slips badly as the heads move freely not driving the bogies at all. Hadnt ran it for 2 years but seemed fine when I bought it. I tried superglue but still one shaft slips so may end up disconnecting one bogie tower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a common problem. Hope you got yours sorted out!

      Delete
  2. I’ve had 3 Dapol 121/122’s in 12 months. The 121 was repaired under warranty. (Drive Shaft) the first 122 was replaced like for like by Dapol (Drive shaft) and the replacement has just been sent off for repair under warranty for, you guessed it……… a new drive shaft!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the same issue,Feb of this year running fine. Put on shelf. Got it out to show my mate who yes you guessed it, asked me to look at his because it wouldn’t run. The T ball at the end of the shaft is split both ends motor end and bogie end. The shaft measures 1.47mm. I have a length of 1.57mm brass tube.
      I intend to fit and solder a 0.75mm copper rod to ack as a T drive.as long as the drive shaft can move up and down and side to side as the bogie negotiates curves it should drive a lot more positive.
      I will let you know how successful the procedure is.

      Delete
    2. It is really a poor design fault - it is clearly a common issue - I have just purchased the new Bachmann class 121 - I think that might be the solution!!

      Delete