Pages

Saturday 28 January 2012

Georgeham operational and DCC headaches


First operational train through Georgeham

Over the last 24 hours I have had some time to devote to getting Georgeham operational. An additional incentive was I managed to get down to Taw Valley models to pick up my fixed Bachmann DCC sound class 25/3, which had a faulty sound chip from new. And I was also going to use my new NCE powercab to power the test track/micro layout, so this would be the first test of this controller, and hopefully a step into a bigger DCC world.


The coach lights are on....we have power!

I spent the day gluing down the track and soldering up the powerbus. I re-read the powercab manual last night and took all bits out of the box, only to find I was missing the leads to connect the power to the track. So first task of testing out/learning to use my new NCE DCC system was a fail. How annoying, I am going to have to wait to next week to get this one sorted out now.

So instead I wired up my EZ DCC controller and everything worked first time, testing the layout with my class 33/2. Excitedly, I put my class 25/3 on to test the sound functions. Alas, even after a trip back to Barwell for repair, the sound functions are still not fixed. Gutted - another trip down to Taw Valley Models this week to return the locomotive again!! How annoying. Taw Valley Models are excellent and I am going to ask for a straight replacement for this locomotive this time. The fixing of this locomotive obviously has not worked and something is seriously wrong with the chip. Some of the sound functions simply just do not work.

Hopefully, all this issues will be resolved this week. I plan to get the track painted and ballasted this week and am about to start work on building the platform this evening. The backscene was given its first coat today, hopefully I will a second coat on it tomorrow as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment