Pages

Sunday 15 January 2012

Class 33 signed off and a new non shunting micro layout


Tweaked class 33/2

I have had an absolute brilliant weekend. Not a lot of time for modelling, but I really can't grumble, having had an epic bike ride to Exeter amongst other things. However, my modelling time has been limited all week, and my layout modelling has not progressed as I had hoped. I have finished the class 33/2 off and this is now fully functional and has been running on Amberleigh.


The solebars were toned down a little with some weathered black

However, earlier today Amberleigh was packed away indefinitely (for the second time!!). This was the first test track for my EZ dcc controller and my first layout. This is due to be super seeded by Pottington Quay. However, although a curved back scene has been added and painted to Pottington, little other progress has been made.....


The curved back scene on Pottington Quay

So this weekend I thought I would make a little 2ft scenic plinth. I have just purchased a static grass applicator, so I thought that a little scenic plinth would be a good test of this, and provide some impetus for getting on with Pottington Quay. However, at the same time, I also need a test track for programming decoders with my new NCE powercab controller. So I have combined these aspirations to produce a through running DCC micro layout.

The entire layout has a length of 6ft 4 inches, built on a single baseboard. There are two 2ft fiddle yards at either end and a scenic running length of 2ft 6 inches. The scenic section is c. 18 inches wide. The aim of this little layout can be summarised as:

a) A dcc programming test track
b) A through running DCC layout
c) Something small and quickly achievable
d) A chance to scratchbuild a new station
e) Somewhere to run a growing collections of DMU's
f) A 'pointless layout'

This morning I got keen and the main part of the layout baseboard was constructed. I will finish building this tomorrow night, and hopefully make some serious progres on this over the week. This will mean it is ready for my son coming next weekend, so we can do the scenery together - fingers crossed. This means there are now two layouts end to end in the modelling room, waiting for detailing, amongst a hundred other projects!!

No comments:

Post a Comment