Pages

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Weathered VAA van and a class 31


Weathered VAA wagon

Tonight I managed to finish off a VAA wagon. The wagon has had three link couplings added and has been weathered. The rivet seams along the van body have been picked out in track dirt and rust, before a general weathering of the body and chassis. It has all been done with life colour acrylic paints and sealed with acclad varnish. I am pretty happy with this effort, I think it looks the part!! Another small wagon for running on the upcoming Georgeham layout.



The photographs were taken on the scenic section of Georgeham. This is just a plain baseboard, with a fibreboard back scene. This has a gloss surface and with the light shining from behind the camera, makes the photographs look pretty poor, with a distinct orange hue. It makes me realise that a good scenic section is essential for being able to photograph rolling stock. I am not entirely sure why though, possibly the ability to absorb light and also provide a scaled context.

Following a theme from an earlier post this year, I have recently got a weathered BR blue Class 31. Looking at the photographs I am not sure what to do about this weathered finish. Should I strip down the whole model and start the paint job again or try to blend in this factory weathering? As it stands the weathering is monotone and not particularly effective. I think in the first instance I am going to attempt to blend it in. A filthy BR blue class 31 is the order of the day, as some of the examples were in the early 1980's running passenger services into Barnstaple. This is the plan anyway.....


Hornby class 31 with weathered factory finish


Another view of the factory finish

No comments:

Post a Comment