Pages

Sunday 16 January 2011

Bachmann class 37/0 weathered!! (plus a dogfish and sealion)


Dutch livery class 37/0 shunts some engineering wagons at Amberleigh halt

Well a great weekends modelling has transpired. In fact I would go so far to say that I am modelled out!!! This weekend concentrated on weathering a class 37/0 in dutch livery, giving it a really heavy weathered finish. This is only my second attempt at modelling a weathered locomotive with my new air brush. It was a good lesson, as with funds being a little tight, I was planning to sell it on e-bay ready to raise some much needed cash!!! However, I am very pleased with the results and am now considering keeping it.


The passengers waiting for the local dmu service to barnstaple get a close up of 37035

I have somehow messed up my airbrush this weekend, it is spraying slightly to the side. I am gutted, but have no idea how it happened. I guess the centre needle must be broken, but how this happened I am not sure. Anyway,I weathered the locomotive with a combination of frame dirt, matt black, weathered black, roof dirt and sleeper grime all from the lifecolour range. Two coats of humbrol matt enamel varnish were added to seal it. The model is depicted in a heavily weathered state, but I really like the overall effect. I especially like the very flat matt finishes of the lifecolour acrylic paints, I think they look most realistic.


A slightly battered sealion wagon in the short engineers train

Other than that a sealion and dogifsh have been added to the engineering stock. Again two very pleasing results with the airbrush weathering. The dogfish is an heljan wagon and the sealion is a bachmann wagon. Both have turned out nicely i think. I especially like the rust effect on the sealion wagon.


Close up of the weathering on the sealion wagon

On other projects I have a NEA Mk1 brake waiting for a good weathering and a grampus and walrus ready for the addition of some transfers. I also need to buy some trestles to finish the amberleigh halt scenic board. I have a feeling that the sale of the class 37/0 on ebay might end up funding the acquisition of these new trestles.....we shall see!!


A dogfish wagon also in dutch livery at Amberleigh


The unkept state of a departmental class 37 in the late 1980s

No comments:

Post a Comment