Pages

Thursday 22 July 2010

Flangeways mermaid



Well I have finally finished detailing and weathering the first of my two flangeways mermaid wagons. All that work to remove the floor and add the couplings, plus the underframe grime, with a light body dusting of dirt. For a simple wagon conversion it was very hard work, but I have to say I am pleased with the result. It definitely looks the part, but with the amount of work put in I could have just built one of the excellent cambrian kits, which is what I shall do next time!!

With hindsight I am now not so sure it was worth removing the floor, however the whole wagon does look better for it. Problem is, as you can see on these photographs, you can barely tell. The second of these wagons is now on my desk, so I might undertake a conversion for couplings, etc, but leave the floor in place for a comparison.

Other projects are progressing well. The Southern Pride FO had the roof fixed on this evening. Just a few details left to glue on this one and then some painting and it will be finished. The NSE class 108 had cables added tonight, a few other bits need putting on, and the underframe detailing, but this is also going to be completed next week. The bridge and the concrete lineside hut are also part painted, and again I would hope to get these finished soon. I must get that lighting kit ordered for my class 08 shunter from Express Models, so I can start that in the next few weeks.

Lastly, I intend to make a short senic plinth for photographs for my blog, as I realise how awful my partly finished railway/work bench looks!! This is going to be built over the next month, so I can produce some higher quality photographs. Also a week off work in August is going to suffice for the construction of a mini-layout/test track. The first boards of WaterGate Halt will be built, ready for some senic detailing by myself, son and girlfriend over those long winter months!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment