Pages

Saturday 17 December 2011

Pottington Quay warehouse finished..


The finished warehouse on Pottington Quay, in its final location

This week and weekend I had plans of getting the track laid on Pottington Quay and the backsecene sprayed. Events have transpired and I am now stuck in the office writing up reports, all over the weekend. Luckily I enjoy my job, so it is not too much of a chore, but it does mean that I I am not going to get Pottington Quay operational by xmas, which was my plan.


The class 33/2 emerges from behind the warehouse

However, I did manage to finish the warehouse for Pottington Quay this week. This is my first attempt at scratch building anything. Stupidly, I have decided to plonk the building right at the front of the layout, as a scenic break for the trains entering/leaving the shunting micro. This means the building is up close to the edge of the layout and very visible. As a first scratch building attempt, it has turned out ok, but not perfect. However, it is all a learning curve, and I am sure I can blend the less than ideal bits in with some strategically placed scenic items!


I hope the scale appears about right....

Whilst I had the warehouse on the layout to see what it would look like in place, I also got out a class 33/2, which was about to get dismantled ready for detailing and weathering. The 33 was placed next to the warehouse on the track, to see if the scale was about right. When I built the warehouse I guessed all the dimensions, with an ethos of 'I think it looks about right'. I think the relative scales work, although they are obviously none exact.

So there it is, my first finished building for Pottington, and a unique one at that, a first for me! Over the xmas break I am going to get some modelling clay, to have a second attempt at scratch building something with my son, maybe a second building for Pottington Quay. Until then I have the 33/2 in pieces on my work bench, with the sideframes/bufferbeams/interior cabs, etc, all removed, and the same for a class 121 and class 25. So I have plenty to be getting on with and its only a week till xmas.....

No comments:

Post a Comment