Pages

Sunday 11 December 2011

A Trout in North Devon


Weathered Trout, on Amberleigh

Another engineering wagon goes through the paintshop. This is the new olive trout from Hornby. This is a great wagon, with lovely moulded detail and bang in the range of mid 1970s - 1980s that I am interested in. Although I believe from the review in Model Rail they a bit eastern dominated in their distribution, I am having a small number of these to potter around my imaginary North Devon layout.



The wagon was weathered with Lifecolour acrylics and some Tenscrom Lifecolour rust. Various shades of rust, weathered black, sleeper grime and frame dirt where sprayed over the hopper body and underframe. Overall, I am pretty happy with how this one turned out, and also a quick little project to boot. Think I am going to get another one asap!! The next trout is going to get a super heavy rust finish to mimic a wagon right at the end of its working life.


The warship creeps into shot on Amberleigh, with the finished trout on the layout

I also picked up a DCC fitted Warship in rail blue at the weekend. Given the shortage of 21 pin decoders around at the moment, this was great to get a locomotive ready to use on Amberleigh with a decoder pre-fitted. The warship, the class 33/2 and the class 45 are projects I really want to get moving, although the class 121 continues to make progress. My son and I have also managed some landscaping on Pottington Quay and I have almost finished the warehouse for the front of the layout. Nearly, because this evening I painted one of the doors which was covered in hair and dust (how did this happpen??). So this needs to be sanded off and repainted tomorrow night. Hopefully Pottington Quay will have the track laid and wired up the week after next, so there might be some serious progress on Pottington Quay before xmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment