Pages

Sunday 8 April 2012

Class 121 ready for service


Finished DMU ready for service, on a rather barren Georgeham layout

Following on from the previous post, the class 121 is now ready to enter service on my various layouts. The fit of the underframe onto the body is not perfect, but it is acceptable for now. Trying to get the underframe/body to fit exactly, was causing handling damage to the weathering job, etc, so I have cut my losses. I am pretty happy with the result. The end with the exhaust pipes I am particularly pleased with.


Heading back to Exeter

The interior of the DMU has been painted and an Express Models lighting kit has been added. The body has been detailed and a light weathering applied to the body shell. Detailing touches include destination blinds for the local area, A1 etched brass windscreen wipers, footsteps and detailing pipes, buffers, etc, on the buffer beam.



All in all an enjoyable project. However, the one let down on the finished model is the lighting kit makes the body fit back slightly too high on one end. Without some major cosmetic underframe surgery that will have too do. It is a real shame, just probably 1mm in it. I have a second one of these to do, and I will cut the floors out before fitting the lighting kit at each end. However, the Express Models lighting kit is well worth the money. I should have checked the fit of it all before reassembling the chassis - I know for next time though!


Interior detailing

There is some light bleed which I need to sort out at each end, probably using a drop of glue (glue and glaze) painted black. It will mean getting in and out of the unit will be difficult, but after the hassle of getting the underframe and body back together I do not think this will be problem. One other shortcoming is the lack of passengers and a driver. This was a lack of materials to hand, but the next DMU will feature both. Anyhow, this whole project has been a good learning experience and I have another DMU ready for the local passenger service at Georgeham.

No comments:

Post a Comment