Pages

Monday 21 February 2011

Engineers grey class 33/1


Class 33/1 in engineers grey trundles past Amberleigh halt

Last week I was working close to home in Cornwall and with half term this week, modelling has been confined to snatches of time in between doing other things. I have managed to finish weathering my class 33/1 in engineers grey. This is a heljan bargain from hattons. The weathering is really quite light, with a mixture of life colour acrylic sleeper grime, frame dirt, roof dirt and matt black. I think it works quite well but is relatively subtle.

The windows were masked with maskol, but with taking off the maskol I ripped off a windscreen wiper. I have had to nick one from a class 33/2, and now need some spares. This aside, this has been a lovely little project and I am pretty happy with the result. This locomotive is in a livery right at the end of the time period I model (with no roof pods though), in early 1991. It is one of a number of class 33's and and 31's I hope to run on the this layout and watergate halt, when it gets constructed. These were the mainstay of locomotive hauled trains on the tarka line in the 1980s, with the odd class 50, 47 and 37 thrown in for good measure.


It is hauling a short engineers train. Note the missing windscreen wiper, damaged during removing the maskol!!

On other tasks I have still nearly finished the walrus wagon and a class 47 is nearing completion. I have attached the second fiddle yard to Amberleigh and it now nearly functions as a though running station, except the wiring up of one of the fiddle yard points seems to be wrong!! I am going to get this sorted out this week in the evenings and then have a weekend doing some proper modelling. Looking forward to finishing off some projects and starting the build of a SR CCT in br blue and Whale wagon, two kits that have been sat waiting since xmas!!


Hopefully the light weathering job can be seen to good effect in this shot

No comments:

Post a Comment