Pages

Thursday 9 December 2010

Cambrian walrus wagon



Well finally i got the first walrus wagon finished. This is a blog about my experiences of modelling and hence not only perfect projects will be put up!! This description fits this wagon perfectly, as it has been a fun project, but ultimately I am not entirely satisfied with the output.



The wagon is finished in a heavily weathered state, a combination of framedirt washes, weathering powders and real ballast dust!! I think it looks ok, and the dim light it is photographed in does not help do it justice. However, although this is a great kit to build, the quality of the hand wheels is poor and lets the whole model down a little. For such prominent features they really compromise the look of the wagon. I plan to replace these in due course.



The other issue is the paint finish. It is too thick in places and bad mixing on the final coat, led to staining along the bottom edge of some of the body. The whole wagon is hand painted and this is the straw that broke the camels back! I have finally bitten the bullet and ordered an airbrush today. I just want to be able to produce a higher quality finish on these models I spend months building!! I will put up a further post of the build later this week or early next week. Anyway, I have the second of these on my desk currently and a couple of whales left to build. These will form a series of ballast trains running out of meldon quarry on my layout, coupled with some turbots, sealions and seacows.

No comments:

Post a Comment