Pages

Sunday 31 January 2021

Well what an enjoyable weekend: An 0 gauge Lowmac and 13T open wagon, an 00 gauge Sr 40T wagon and a LNER CCT!

This weekend I have had some time to really do some modelling, a few undisturbed stints over the weekend.  I have to thank my most amazing partner - who is very understanding when I say I am going to disappear for a few hours!  Anyhow, enough of that - more about the modelling.  I have a few, very long burner projects that have dragged on and on.  The first is a Slaters 0 Gauge 13T open wagon.  I have no idea how long I have been on this project, but it has been dragging on for probably 4 years.  This week I am finally getting around to finishing this off, just needing to add a few etched brass castings.  One side of the wagon is almost finished and the second side will be a lot quicker now I have got the measure of what I need to do.  Hopefully, I will get an evening this week to finish it off.  I am keen to develop my rust weathering skills further.  Being a steel open wagon, this is going to serve as a test bed for developing some better rust weathering skills.

Slaters 0 Gauge 13T wagon heading towards completion (finally!)

My old man has also recently got into 0 gauge. I got him a skill builder etched brass kit the Xmas before last and once built, I offered to paint it for him.  I am keen to develop my wood weathering skills, so this wagon is going to be a test bed for some advanced weathering (or at least I hope so).  It is shaping up nicely so far, although there is a long way to go yet.  I have purchased the AK International wood weathering kit for this and it will serve as a test best for these techniques.


My dads 0 Gauge LNER Lowmac going through the paint shop.

A wagon that has been finally constructed this weekend, is an 00 gauge SR 40T ballast wagon.  This complements the 2 recently finished Walrus wagons, all constructed from the Cambrian kits.  The SR 40T wagon is not one of my best builds, it is a bit wonky!  However, I hope that a good paint job will disguise the building sins!  This is a quick build, taking a little over a year!


SR 40T ballast wagon heading for the paintshop.

Last up, is a much quicker fix!  It is a Hornby LNER CCT.  This is yet another parcels wagon for the layout.  I converted this to 3 link couplings and it is now ready for the paintshop, after a wash.

Ready for painting - yet more parcels stock.

So plenty of progress and it feels very satisfying.  I have also sorted out the paint boxes this weekend and a number of models are very close to completion.  I am determined to not buy any more stock at the moment.  I have lots of kits to build and lots of stock to weather!  I also have all the new baseboards for the next layout ordered.  So I want to work through everything I have right now, this includes finishing off a DC kits class 119 DMU, sound chipping and detailing a BR blue class 108 DMU, detailing and sound chipping a Hymek, Western, Class 42 and Class 43, and maybe even sorting out my Lima class 37.   Hopefully, plenty of more progress over the weeks ahead....although whether I will finish all of these projects before being distracted is open to question!

No comments:

Post a Comment