Pages

Sunday 24 February 2013

Large Logo Class 50 weathered

Weathered class 50 with the detailing pipes added

I have just returned home from a fantastic half term week with my son and managed to finish off my class 50 weathering project. The locomotive in question is the BR blue large logo hoover, Centurion. After looking on the web for quite a while at pictures of these locomotives in service I have tried to recreate an 'in-service' look, albeit towards the dirtier end of the spectrum of how these locomotives were in the 1980s.

Dirt streaks running off the roof

First of all I added the various pipes to the front of the locomotive and cut away the NEM coupler socket at the front, replacing it with a 3 link coupling. After this, try as I might, I could not successfully remove the bogie sides from the locomotive and fearing I was about to damage the locomotive I went with the option of masking of the wheels and then weathering the chassis as a whole, with the body done separately. The roof was treated to some weathered black and the chassis/body sides were weathered with a mixture of weathered black, frame-dirt and sleeper grime, each applied as a separate coat. In total the weathering probably took around 20 different air-brush applications, including sealing with acclad varnish. I attempted to produce some dirt streaks running from the roof down the body sides as well as varying the weathering on the chassis in a way which is sympathetic to the moulded relief of the underframe.


This locomotive is now finished and is trundling up and down the first section of laid track on Pottington Quay. With a bit of luck I might even get the next sections of track laid down on Pottington today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment