Pages

Saturday 29 January 2022

Kimmington Quay - buildings and quay wall

This week has seen some good progress on the new layout.  Having got the track painted and working, it feels like a milestone has been reached, allowing my very limited modelling time to be used to construct the buildings and the scenery.  I had put most of the foundation of the quay wall into place using foam packing several weeks ago, glued down with PVA glue.  Last Sunday I covered this with several layers of plaster bandage.  This is now going to be covered with DAS clay, which I will scribe to form the wall.




The quay wall in place, now ready for some DAS clay.

I also managed to get the platform for the dairy built several months ago, but it is only in the last few weeks that I have got around to putting any paint onto this.  This is now being painted and I am hopeful I can get it finished in the next week or so.  I find painting concrete takes a long time, adding in various layers of colour. 


The dairy platform during painting.

On top of the dairy platform there are going to be several buildings, which are in various stages of construction. I am using lasercut mdf shells, onto which I paint PVA glue and apply polyfilla before sanding flat and scribing.  This is copied from Chris Nevard's wizardry, and it has certainly helped me to be able to construct realistic and individual buildings for the first time, like the pub building I have still yet to finish!

Dairy warehouse.

Dairy office during painting.

Main dairy building.

The pub which is still yet to be finished!

So all in all, some cracking progress this week and I am hoping to get the quay wall started today.

No comments:

Post a Comment