Pages

Sunday 19 May 2019

BR Blue BG with working lights

Recently I finished off another project, this is a MK1 BG coach, in BR blue.  This coach is the Bachmann model with the newspaper lettering.  I decided to do a little bit of experimentation with the interior lighting for this coach, using a layouts4u lighting kit.  These are considerably cheaper than the Express Models lighting kits, so I ordered a couple to have a little play around.  

The lights are on at the station!  The finished BG.

As per normal I dismantled the coach and removed the glazing.  I then weathered the roof and coach sides separately, before rejoining them together and sealing up the gap between the coach sides and the roof to stop lighting bleed.  To do this I glue in some microstrip  and then fill in the gap with glue and glaze.  When this has set I paint it black.  

The coach during reassembly with the stay alive unit on the left.

When it was all ready I added the lighting unit together by super gluing it to the roof and wired it up to a stay a live unit.....and it all failed to work!  I checked the lighting unit and this worked, but the stay alive unit was dead.  In the end I just left this out and wired the lighting kit straight to the pick ups.  Verdict - these lighting kits are pretty good and easy use.  Personally I prefer the effect of the Express Models lighting kits, so although they are more expensive I will continue to use these, as I only intend to do 6 coaches in total.  I thought the lighting in this BG is a little bit fierce, but that is personal preference.

The newspaper BG being shunted around the Charlton station.

Another view looking down the station.

This coach will be coupled to back of the passenger service to Charlton, which consists of two MK1 coaches.  The BG will then be uncoupled at the station.  So this wagon has been finished with a 3 link coupling at both ends, in order to enable easy uncoupling.  I am very happy with this project overall and will add a little variety to the rolling stock at Charlton.  I just need to find a little time and a location to have a proper running session soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment