Pages

Sunday 19 April 2020

Another sealion wagon for the ballast train

Over the years I have been meaning to build a ballast train composed of some sealion, walrus and whale ballast wagons.  I am currently building another walrus (which will bring the total to 3) and one of the next kits will be another whale wagon - I was never entirely satisfied with the canopies on the first version I built.  Anyhow, I finally got around to finishing off the third sealion wagon I have.  This is the Bachmann model that I must have purchased about 10 years ago - it is frightening how time seems to just to slip away! 

Finished sealion wagon ready for the layout.

Anyhow, I converted this to 3 link  couplings, which involves a bit of filing and drilling into the buffer beam and cut off the mounts for the tension lock couplings.  I gave the wagon a good wash and then an all over body wash applied with a paint brush that was mostly wiped away again.  After this, various shades of light rust, weathered black, sleeper grime and frame dirt were airbrushed over the body.  This was all sealed off with a good blast of satin varnish.  I always treat the bogies separately to the body on a wagon like this, in an attempt to highlight some detail on the bogies.  Anyhow, another project finished off.  I must finish this second walrus wagon build and get the two completed kits into the paintshop for this rake.  Again apologies for the poor pictures - I am struggling to find decent light in the modelling room at the moment and with the layout firmly locked down and inaccessible with storage, this is the best I could manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment