Pages

Tuesday 7 April 2020

A 12T fruit van ready to roll

Week 3 of lockdown starts and I sincerely hope everyone is bearing up OK.  These are trying times and modelling is a good way of light relief to occupy some hours and take away the current stress.  Recently, I have managed to finish off the detailing of a few RTR wagons.  The Charlton layout already has far too much rolling stock, but doesn't everybodies layout?  So first up is a Bachmann 12T fruit van.  I need a series of 12T vans for the delivery of fertiliser to the provender store and currently have an operating rake of 3.  This will increase over the next couple of weeks as I finish off more wagons.

12T fruit van finished and ready to roll on the layout.

As per normal I fitted three link couplings to the wagon and then proceeded to give the wagon a good wash. First the wagon was treated to an all over bodywash of sleeper grime and weathered black heavily thinned, taking care to remove the majority of this wash after application.  The wagon was then detailed using an Iwata airbrush, applying Railmatch enamels.  Various shades of rust, weathered black, sleeper grime, frame dirt and white were applied to the underframe.  The body was predominately detailed with weathered black, on the upstanding ribs, door hinges, etc, and sleeper grime more generally across the body.  This was all sealed up with 3 coats of satin varnish.

I realised that I had far to many projects on the go at once in the painting boxes and it was taking far too long to finish anything.  Effort was being divided between multiple models, meaning nothing was getting finished. So over the next few weeks I am concentrating on a few specific models to get them finished off, before tackling some more complex projects, not least an earlish BR blue class 37, which the DCC sound decoder arrived for today.  At least, for once, I have plenty of time on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment