Pages

Friday 27 May 2011

Class 108 DMU back on the rails


Finished weathered DMU. The weathering on the front is a little more extreme than I originally intended, but I still think it is passable

I finally got around to re-detailing my class 108 NSE DMU last night and it has returned to provide the passenger service on Amberleigh. I originally detailed this using a craftsman kit and paint-brushing on various shades of railmatch enamels for weathering. At the time I was pretty happy with it, but subsequently have found the finish leaving a little to be desired.


Wider shot of the first car

With this in mind I ordered several wiper masks packs from from PH designs, with this being the first loco to test them on. Last weekend afforded me the time to tackle this project again. Probably the finish on the front windscreens is a little heavy, as I got carried away with the wiper masks - but I am happy to put it down to modellers licence!


Evening service back to Barnstaple

The body had various shades of sleeper grime, roof dirt and weathered black sprayed across the bottom of the body. Matt back was also painted into the door frames and the excess wiped away with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit. The other key issues were tidying up the decoder wires and the fitting of the driver. Even though the weathering job is much heavier than the previous attempt, I am much happier with the result.


The brighter light in this photograph is due to it being early morning, with the first service of the day to Torrington.

Just undertaking this little weathering exercise reminded me of how good a model the class 108 is and how much I like first generation DMUs. It also got me round to thinking about the half built DC kits class 119 DMU I still have not got round to finishing. I really want a two car 119 and 3 car 120 DMU for Watergate Halt. I am seriously thinking about using the Replica motorised chassis for the kits instead of the Black Beetle motor bogie as supplied with the kit. Tempting, but we shall have to wait and see what time is available after summer..


Finally the DMU has a driver

On other projects the BCK lighting has proved a much more difficult task then I had originally expected. This projects is still in progress and the fix has been much more laborious then I had hoped for. However, I think it will work, but I will post again to describe it later next week. It is definitely a feature of the Bachmann Mk1 construction, with the sides fitting onto the roof that causes this problem - the mk2 coaches being a 1 piece body shell will not suffer the same problem. I still have not got round to finishing the whale, finishing the paint job on the CCT or building the PMV. I also have a stack of locomotives for detailing and a load of detailing parts....

No comments:

Post a Comment