Pages

Sunday 15 July 2018

Backscenes part deux!

Well after the last semi disaster with the backscene, I ordered an ID models photographic backscene, which has self adhesive backing, and some 0.3mm foamex sheets.  I choose an overcast day, with some blackening skies, typical Devon in my years of living there!  I ordered the foamex boards slightly too big for the backscene, but in 3ft lengths (same as the baseboards) and set to work applying the backscene to the boards.  I undertook this on my own in 3ft strips, and it was just about manageable as a 1 person job.  I started in one corner and slowly worked my way over the foamex board.  I managed to stick all of the sheets down in about 4 hours or so, and managed not to get any air bubbles on the finish.

Backscene cut into 3ft sections and attached to the foamex sheet.

The backscene and foamex trimmed to size.

When I was reasonably happy with how this was shaping up, I tore off the old backscene and removed the terraced houses and signal box, which had been glued down.  This was a awkward job to do, and in the process I wrecked the yard lamp.  However, I was determined to make a better effort this time, so quite a bit of the original scenic work was sacrificed.

Finished backscene looking towards Ilfracombe.

Looking towards Barnstaple.

I then cut the boards to the size of the backscene and started to glue them onto the layout using PVA glue.  In typical Murphy's law I was about 1 inch short of backscene, so I had to fudge one corner together, I will let you work out where!  However, after a good day of fiddling around, I have pretty good backscene.  Like all my modelling it is not quite perfect, but it is a vast improvement on the first attempt.  It does not dominate the scene, but it does provide some context to the model.  As this layout is a test run (although it does seem to be dragging on a bit!) I am pretty happy with the overall effect.  So now onwards with finally getting some buildings (re)glued down and some proper scenery detailing!!  I can also say with confidence that I have found a way of making a satisfactory backdrop for my layouts and this is a big step forward for me.  I will certainly use this method from now on.

Backscene visible behind a class 25 in the sidings, it does not dominate the picture, which I like.

View of the layout, showing the backscene.

No comments:

Post a Comment