Pages

Saturday 18 December 2010

Cambrian walrus and a new air brush


My first attempt at an airbrushed finish. Not perfect, but a big step forwards!

Following on from my last post, things have been busy, getting ready for xmas and with work. However, the biggest reason I have not put up a new post for little over a week is due to my new airbrush arriving. My only comment to anyone thinking of getting an airbrush is to do it - you will never look back!

I opted for an IWATA CR revolution brush, following from the airbrush test in Model Rail. I couldn't be happier with it, and the quality of finish of my models has improved no end. I am still finding my feet with it a little, trying to get rid of occasional spluttering, but I am already close to finishing several projects for my Amberleigh layout using it. I have a vanfit, the class 20, the 50ft parcels van, a lamprey, fertiliser wagon and the second walrus in the paint shop at the moment. I am using the lifecolour acrylics to weather them and they are a joy to use. The roof dirt shade in particular is great for weathering, generally spraying over some fame dirt.

Anyway, the second cambrian walrus is being painted with the air brush at the moment. After the paint finish on the first wagon, the quality of the finish in this second wagon is much higher. I am definitely thinking of building a third walrus, but have two whales, a LMS CCT, and a SR PMV and SR CCT to build, so it will probably slip down the list.

Building the walrus there are some pointers that I hope will be of use to anyone building one of these wagons. I replaced the buffers with some brass A1 buffers, using the shawplan buffer plates. These are a great improvement over the Cambrian plastic ones, but require some cutting of the ends. When mounting the bogies, they need to be set as close to the middle of the wagon as possible, so they do not foul the end detail. Lastly, I found it easiest to construct the main elements of the body first, then install the ends and floorplates. Once the body is set square the wagon simply falls together and is a joy to build.


Tomorrow I will finish my fertiliser wagon and put up some posts of this. This is my first attempt at weathering with an airbush. Whilst not perfect, I am pleased with the overall result, not least because it is my first steps into a better world of modelling.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, am just about to embark on building a cambrian walrus for a modelling competitiom. This is my first kit and I wondered if you could let me know (if you remeber!) what wheels, buffers and bufferplates you used, as cannot seem to find exact ones on relative websites. If possible could you drop answer in the guestbook on my site. Thanks Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlie. I used the shawplan back plates (DPB02), A1 models round freight buffers (A13), both ordered from MG Sharp models. They often sell out of the buffers, rather frustatingly. The wheels are Jackson Romford, the right size as indicated on the packet, not the 3 hole variety. The transfers are modelmaster decals. I hope you saw the second wagon I built, the first walrus was not so good. I am about the start another walrus now, after I get a whale wagon finished, which has been on my desk for months now!! (waiting for transfers) Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there
    I used the Modelmaster Pack 4662r which is designed for the Walrus wagon.
    I am about to strip down the first repaint on one of these wagons and build another - great kits to build!

    ReplyDelete