Pages

Sunday 19 December 2010

weathering wagons and a class 20

Well as promised here are a selection of shots of the first wagons and locomotive off the weathering production line using my new air brush. In short, I am really happy with them. They have been a good learning exercise, not least in using thinners and varnish, but overall I a pleased. The fertiliser wagon was the very first thing I sprayed and although the weathering might be considered by some to be a little heavy, I like it. Not least because it is my first attempt at airbrush weathering.


The van fit I purchased on friday morning at the the Exeter model railway shop. It is great that by sunday it has been converted and weathered. Using acyclic paints really helps speeds up the process. Also, I much prefer using acrylic varnish as compared to enamel varnish. It seems much easier to mix and spray.


Lastly, my class 20 has had a light weathering. This was the third weekend project and by this point I had gained a little confidence with the airbrush. There are a couple of heavy touches on this, but by and large I think it resembles a work stained locomotive. Using hand brushes would have meant painting the whole locomotive, whilst using and airbrush you can direct your weathering with much greater accuracy and effect.


Anyway, those are my experiences, I hope that you enjoy looking at these wagons and loco as much as I have enjoyed making it. I have nearly finished my grampus wagon today and am about to get a sealion and a class 33/1 onto the workbench. Will put posts up of these as they progress. Also the 50ft parcels wagon is nearing completion, so hopefully some posts of these projects next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment