Pages

Monday 11 April 2011

Whale, CCT, Class 121 DMU and a POA wagon

Well the heading pretty much describes my current projects, as far as I have got with them. Various interruptions meant that I did not achieve as much modelling as I wanted to at the weekend, but projects certainly moved forward.


New rolling stock for Amberleigh in the shape of a class 121 dmu

I purchased a class 121 dmu for a regular passenger service on Amberleigh. I have got some Express Models interior lights, some Blackcat Technologies head/tail lights and a Craftsman detailing kit to add onto it. It is a slightly daunting project, but one I am looking forward to getting stuck into over the next two weeks. The biggest issue I have is very average soldering skills, so I think a new and better soldering iron is in order. This project got underway at the weekend, with the couplings being cut off and the body dismantled. Test running on Amberleigh with a Bachmann back emf decoder resulted in a very noisy engine and not brilliant performance. I wonder if anyone out there has a recommended decoder for the hornby model??


Parkside southern CCT, ready for painting

The Parkside CCT is done. This is going to the Amberleigh engineering department in olive green. One thing I noticed is that engineering vans tend to have LPG cylinders slung underneath - I presume for a stove (but I have no idea really!!). I had an old one lying around from an unfinished Southern Pride kit and stuck this on the underframe. The kit is all washed now ready for painting...but alas I failed to get the air brush started this weekend.


Dismantled SSA wagon

The other little project I am dabbling with is converting a couple of Bachmann SSA wagons to POA wagons. This is literally just the removal of the factory finished enamel and replacement with Modelmaster Decals. The first wagon has also been converted for use with 3 link couplings. As with normal Bachmann wagons this was a little bit of a fight, with three pretty substantial mounting blocks for the tension lock coupler. Anyway, one down and one to go!! The next POA is going to have very battered sides, I am looking forward to hacking it up!!


POA wagon with offending transfers removed and 3 link couplings added in a slightly unorthodox way, utilising a fair amount of araldite!

Another project that received some attention was the construction of my whale wagon. I am still waiting on my buffers from MG sharp models, but have started fitting the body together. The chute was added last night and it is really starting to shape up. I am looking forward to finishing the build on this over the next week or so. I have another one of these to build, which I think I might start almost straight away....and I might have to have one more bash at a walrus!!! The kit for the whale is similar to the walrus. Normally when I am putting a kit together I have an idea if it is going to look good when finished, but I am unsure with this first whale, I guess time will tell.


Progression of the whale wagon

Other projects I have kicking about is adding some lights into some mk1 and mk2 lighting stock. Not all my coaches, just a handful for night running. I am also going to have a bash at updating a bachmann class 47 and 37 and I have another heljan 33 (a 33/2 this time) to weather. I still have a lighting kit and decoder waiting to be installed in a bachmann 08. Lots to do and absolutely no time to do it in!! Maybe, just maybe I should get the CCT painted this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment