Pages

Friday 25 March 2011

Regional Railways BSK, a whale ballast wagon and engineering CCT


Lightly weathered BSK mk1 in Regional Railways livery

Following some glorious days working in the lovely city of York, I am back home in Devon and having a bit of spare time to undertake some modelling. I got out the camera and took some photos of the regional railways mk1 BSK that I recently gave a very light weathering to. I am really pleased with the result. The underframe looks great with a very clean body. It makes a great comparison to the scruffy looking mk1 NEA intercity brake it is now coupled up with. This is a fixed short rake that is currently trundling up and down Amberleigh behind a class 37 in a dutch livery. Short trains like this were common on the tarka line in the mid to late 1980's, although only 2 coaches is probably pushing it a little. However, in my mind it makes a model of something that might of happened...


Some passengers on their way to Torrington

Incidentally, all the photographs taken on this post I set in a rather low light (ok lights dimmed, etc), trying to recreate a dusk-like atmosphere. I think it works pretty well, although I am sure there is much I could do to better my virtually non existent photography skills (I just point and shoot).


Class 37 heading the local passenger service. It must be a summer Sunday

On another point I have now got round to finishing quite a few coaches for Amberleigh and the next Watergate Halt layout. In got my mind round to thinking about whether to weather a batch of coaches at once. Having thought about it I am going to stick to doing it in ones and twos. I feel this will give greater variation to rakes, even it is subtle. Thus every coach will be a one off, which should create a variety of different weathering states, from near ex-works, through to neglected.


View of the local passenger service

Another point that has struck me twice recently, is internet shops claiming to have things in stock, only to find out when you order that it is not the case. I am putting together the first of two Cambrian whale wagons, and ordered some nice A1 brass buffers from MG Sharp. The website listed the parts as in stock. After my card was debited it is revealed that the product is actually out of stock. I also ordered a Hornby blue grey class 121 from Hereford Model Centre this week. This was to be a little DMU unit dedicated to the passenger service for the good people of Amberleigh. Again my order goes through, only to receive an e-mail later that the item is in fact out of stock. I am not someone who generally moans, but in both cases I feel a little hard done by, being misled by the information supplied. It is a little frustrating.


The main body of the whale wagon, plus the assembled hopper shute

However, to finish on a positive, the parkside CCT is just about finished (a few odds and ends to tidy up). A lovely simple little kit to build. I hope to get this painted and finished this weekend. I think that I should also be able to finish the whale this weekend, except for buffers. However, like always I have big plans but have the feeling I might not get as much modelling time as I would like.


Nearly finished Parkside CCT

No comments:

Post a Comment