Pages

Sunday 17 October 2010

Weathering a shark brakevan






(photographs: top = cambrian shark; below top = hornby weathered shark (factory finish) with pipework addded; below bottom = hornby shark after further weathering; bottom = hornby shark after further weathering)


I had the delights of working in Dicot this week and another wedding on saturday, has again meant little time for modelling this week. I seem to begin all my blog posts like this!!! However, hangover aside, I have spent this afternoon modelling. This gave me enough time to finish the weathering of my Hornby shark brakevan.

Before I started to weather it I took a photograph of the Hornby factory finish weathered shark and also had a photograph to hand of a previously built shark brakevan, built from the excellent Cambrian kit. I think it makes an interesting comparison. Weathering is a personal thing, and one of the most important aspects when weathering is to know when to stop. The original Hornby weathering, is no more than a quick airbrushing of light brown frame dirt. It really leaves a lot to be desired.

Using this as a basis the model has been changed into a heavily weathered finish, with some grafetti decals added. One of the decals did not take properly, so I had to disguise this with some additional weasthering, with moderate success. Overall though I am pretty happy with the result. When weathering stock, I try to produce a blend of different finishes on different models, some nearly spotless, some heavily weathered and everything in between. I think in modelling terms it is important to represent a range of prototypical finishes. Everything is weathered to varying degrees. For example, with the two walrus wagons, one is being finished heavily weathered and the second one is being lightly weathered.

Back to the brake van, the comparison between the before and after pictures speaks volumes. I think it is commendable that model manufacturers are trying to model 'real life' railways, but te execution in this instance is poor. However, the less than perfect finish givs modellers like me something to do and personalise mass produced models. With the brakevan finished, work is ongoing on Chivers Lamprey and finishing the second walrus. I might even get the track laid on Amberleigh this evening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment