Pages

Friday 7 April 2023

An O gauge Heljan catfish wagon and some other bits and bobs!

We are still bedding into the new place, with plenty of work to do on the house. However, the really crazy time of moving and unpacking has largely subsided and I have had more free time to model in the evenings. I have also had the airbrush up and running and managed to do some painting - this has certainly helped gain some momentum with a few projects. Having taken stock of what projects I currently have on the go, I decided I really needed to focus on a few projects t get them over the line. So this weekend is going to be dedicated to finishing a few items of rolling stock and buildings for the O gauge layout, which I can hopefully set up next weekend for some detailing.

Weathered catfish wagon ready for the layout.

So the first project I finished this week is some pretty standard weathering of a Heljan catfish wagon. This wagon is in olive green livery and served as a test bed for weathering/detailing rtr stock in O gauge, alongside the Dapol fruit van I recently finished. The weathering was pretty simply applied, being two shades of rust, followed by various shades of sleeper grime, weathered black and frame dirt, etc. It was all done via an airbrush using Railmatch enamels.  I feel reasonably happy with it, although the final finish could have been further developed, such as fading out the olive livery, etc. I have another Heljan dogfish to weather soon, and have ordered a sealion wagon and shark brake van - so the engineering O gauge train is slowly taking shape. There are some other wagons to add to this mix, such as a lowmac, various spoil wagons and probably another dogfish, but these kits are yet to be purchased or built!

Other end of the finished catfish wagon.

Other projects in the paint box include a nearly finished class 25 - which just needs two more coats of varnish and then it is ready for reassembly/dcc fitting, plus a 12t box van ready for transfers. So hopefully there are a couple of other projects I can finish over the weekend. On the modelling desk is a partially constructed Slaters lowfit wagon and I have made a very slow start on the first of the O gauge milk tankers, which I am really looking forward to constructing. Finally the O gauge buildings of the pub, dairy office and quay masters cottage really need to be finished off, so this week I am going to spend some time on getting them done to. Plenty to be getting on with anyhow and a little bit of free time to spend on these projects!

Partially constructed Slaters lowfit wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment