Pages

Monday 30 July 2012

Reweathered fertilser wagon

Last week I spent snorkelling with my son in Dorset and having a great time doing lots of sea swimming and camping with friends. Consequently, little modelling was achieved, although I did manage to finish the reweathering of a fertiliser wagon when we got home - itself a product of one of my first attempts at weathering rolling stock.

Before...an early attempt

I thought that I would give some modelmates dyes a try out too at the same time. It was all a bit of an experiment to enhance an existing wagon, which I believed I could do a better job on now. As the second photograph shows, the weathering on the wagon is now pretty heavy, itself partly a product of the mud colour dye used, and also a bit of a learning process, probably being a bit too heavy on application.

....and after

In summary, of uses for the modelmates dyes I think they will work really well on buildings and more general scenic uses. However, I am not entirely convinced on their use for weathering rolling stock - personally I think that I will stick with using acrylic paints and enamels for rolling stock. Overall, the finish is ok, but I am not bowled over by it. A good experiment, but not one I will repeat..

No comments:

Post a Comment