Pages

Saturday 3 April 2021

Kimwick to something junction and an 0 gauge wagon!

The new layout has been started, albeit it in very slow fashion.  I have some of the baseboards, with the rest on order and I am now slowly making a start on the buildings.  The layout is designed as a continuous run around (I found working a terminus to fiddle yard at exhibitions quite exhausting), which will allow me the options of running some longer trains, plus I can let the trains run a little more easily whilst I sit back and watch!  The track plan is designed to have a station junction (similar but smaller to Barnstaple jn), before a single line section, with a further platform stop.  The station junction is yet to be named and will sit on a 5ft scenic board.  The platform stop is going to be called Kimwick (I know very anglo-saxon in Tarka country) and this is the board I am going to start first - it is a smaller 3ft section heading onto a curve, with a single point for a goods shed.  So this week I have made a start on the platform and it is all going to be modelled on glorious SR concrete.  The platform shelter has been sat in the paint boxes for a few months, but I have slowly been painting this recently.  The actual platform is made from Dart Castings supports and plasticard - it will be a very simple structure.  So the progress so far, I hope to finish this over the weekend, now I have made a start.


The platform  being built for Kimwick, over the bridge from something junction.

The layout will be slowly built over the next couple of years - I have a lot less time for modelling at present, so the primary aim will be to get the track working and laid out, before detailing each board in turn, as I build structures, etc.  

Other modelling has been progressing slowly, but surely, and a few more projects are starting to shape up.  One of these is an 0 gauge brass wagon, my dad recently built.  I offered to paint it for him, so progress so far.  It needs some varnishing and blending together, but over this is looking good I think.  I made a concerted effort to get a more realistic wood effect and I am reasonably pleased with the outcome.



0 gauge wagon, with a better effort at wood effects.

There are lots of other projects ticking over at present, with a fruit D wagon, class 25, salmon wagon, herring wagon, lamprey and some box vans all in the paintshop. I have also finished the detailing on another warship and finished the construction of the 0 gauge 13t open wagon - so these are ready for washing.  More updates to follow soon I hope.  Otherwise I hope everyone is well and has an enjoyable easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment