Pages

Tuesday 6 August 2019

Here comes a (small!) milk train!

After finishing the detailing of the first Dapol milk wagon, I realised that the non-factory weathered wagons were a better bet for detailing than the weathered ones.  I know the Dapol tank contains a multitude of sins, but unless I am willing to pay £30+ for a brass kit, which I am not sure I have the skills to complete, I am stuck with them!  However, I think that with a bit of painting the wagon is a passable generic representation of a milk wagon.

The recently finished tanker on the right and the first attempt on the left.

So for this one I started off with a non-weathered version.  I dismantled the wagon, fitted three link couplings and gave it a wash ready for painting.  On the underframe I tried to pick out some details using rust, weathered black and white, blended in with some frame dirt and sleeper grime.  On the wagon body I tried to run vertical streaks down the body, to give an impression of water running down the tank.  This was all sealed up with a few coats of satin varnish before reassembly.  I think this wagon looks much better than the first one, although a bit of variation in a rake is always a good thing.  I have about 3 more to go, to enable a decent length milk train to be run - hopefully in time for the layouts next exhibition in November.

A class 25 on the mixed freight with the milk wagons at Charlton.

No comments:

Post a Comment