Pages

Sunday 27 January 2019

Class 122 DMU all finished

Well the class 122 DMU saga has drawn to a close.  Today I managed to reassemble the DMU unit and add the final touches, namely destination blinds and the spedometer cable.  I did not like the destination blinds as supplied by Dapol, so I used some old Modelmaster ones I had, which had some good old fashioned south western destinations on them.    Unfortunately, I had already used up the Ilfracombe and Exeter ones, so I had to go with St Ives and Newton Abbot, close enough!! The transfers were put on using Microset and then sealed into place using Acclad 2 varnish.  The DMU unit has a Howes DCC sound unit fitted, alongside an Iphone 6 speaker.  I am looking forward to firing this up soon - sometime around next weekend when I set the layout back up.  

Class 122 complete with Newton Abbot destination blinds.  Note the driver in this view.

The other end with St Ives showing.

The DMU finish is nowhere near what I originally intended when I started out.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, the weathering wash I used on the original body shell attacked the Dapol paintwork (it was Humbrol thinners).  So I had to attempt to rescue the body shell, using a combination of some faded BR blue and weathering, using an airbrush.  So the final result?  I am not desperately happy with it; however, compared to how it was looking when I originally started and the paintwork started to disintegrate - I will take it.  So a lesson learnt with Dapol paint finishes.  Time to order a class 121 and try again me thinks....

End detail.

Full view of the body side - it doesn't look too bad I guess.  The passengers are clearly visible in this view.

No comments:

Post a Comment