Pages

Sunday 5 February 2012

BR Blue class 37 with a VI trains chassis

This Saturday I received a very exciting parcel from Hattons, with a VI trains replacement chassis for a class 37. The locomotive being upgraded is a an old Lima large logo class 37. This locomotive is one from my teen years, when I decided I really wanted to build a modern image layout, set in the highlands of Scotland. Why there? I am not really sure, but there was certainly a strong desire to produce my first real model layout.


Upcoming class 37 detailing and repaint for an old favourite.

It was about this time I got semi-serious about modelling and saved up some money to buy some rolling stock to achieve a model layout. The Class 37 got a craftsman set of grills added and buffer beam detailing. I had a go at replacing the windscreens, and adding some glazing. Then it has sat for about 20 years, in pieces, trundling along during each house move since about the year 2000.


The old Lima shell just resting on the VI trains chassis

So at long last, this slightly nostalgic model is going to form a project. The next job is to add the Lima model to a bath of stripper, get rid of that terrible paint job and grime (powder paint), which will also hopefully dislodge all of the metal bits stuck to the body. Then after a good sand down, a whole assortment of detailing parts can be added, with working lights. I plan to finish this locomotive in a faded blue livery, but I might keep the same number, for memories sake!! This will be one of my longest projects ever. Probably started sometime around 1991 and it will be hopefully be finish in 2012, 21 years in the making I reckon!! However, maybe this is a good omen, as most modelling projects I started in my teens I never finished. In recent years I have got a lot better at finishing models. I hope this will be a super-detailed model when I am finished, with a plethora of detailing parts suitably added, but we shall see.


The basic layout for the new programming track

My son and I have also been busy starting the landscaping on our small DCC programming layout. The various components have been decided on (platform, house, tunnel, derelict signal box and agricultural building). The farm building is hopefully going to have a camera installed, so it is now going to be set behind the platform, to give a different perspective to the normal front view. We got the tunnel glued down today started sculpting some of the landscape on the floodplain at the front of the layout. Hopefully, it will not be too long before we start adding some static grass. I just need to get the track painted and the platform this week, ready for ballasting at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment